Thursday, July 26, 2012

Handweavers of America 2012 Convergence

 This past Thursday, spent the day in Long Beach at the HGA Convergence where such beautiful and luscious wares were for sale from all over the world.  I was tempted to take home so many treasures, but mostly kept to my shopping list.  Met some friends from both my Guilds. The Ventura County Handweavers and Spinners Guild, the Southern Calfornia Handweavers Guild, along with Annie's Guild, Santa Barbara Fiber Guild and many from the Studio 66 Retreat we attended last May, 2011.  Started off viewing the wonderful creations submitted by fiber artists of high caliber, they wouldn't let us photograph, but I did manage to get off one shot of the Technological Creations from students at Michigan State University.  Lighted by fiber optics, charged with solar panels, the possibilities were enormous. 
 Met up with Annie who arranged the bus for her guild to attend the Convergence.  Beautiful rugge (sic) scarf I purchased along with a few others for gifts.  We sat in on a presentation from a woman who showed us her Atlas Mountains rug creations from her village near Morocco.
 After Annie and her guild left, I stuck around to meet with the wonderful ladies who run the Studio 66 Retreat which I had so much fun learning new techniques last May, 2011.  We had exchanged fiber batts/rovings to create for the donator something from.  I ended up with a beautiful woven scarf that I had submitted some roving from Aunt Vicki's Southland baby sheep.  I had received roving from a woman in Santa Barbara that I spun and knit into the twisted ruffle scarf shown in an earlier post.  I can't wait to attend the next Studio 66 Retreat Mother's day weekend in the San Bernadino Mountains next year. 
 These were the technological garments made by students at Michigan State University.  The dress in front had a pulsating shrug, the gown in the back had flowers that when you touched them, they vibrated.  Amazing stuff, there was a jacket that was embedded with solar panels to charge your various devices, another that had emergency lights that activated upon emergencies.  Gloves that gave directional signals when pointed in the intended direction. 
 Some of the turn out from the Studio 66 group. 
 Everyone admiring what people had created with the rovings they had received from Studio 66. 

No comments: